Cairns Baptist Church is not just about church services or “doing church” for the sake of religious rules. It’s a place where you can build great friendships, share common interests together, find opportunities to serve the community and explore faith together. Home Groups also meet together throughout the week to provide further opportunity for this to occur.
Nevertheless, meeting together as a large group to honour God is an exciting part of our life together.
Hebrews 10:25 says, ‘Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.’
If you’ve never been to a church service before, or haven’t been to one like ours, you may be pleasantly surprised to find how relaxed we are! There’s no dress code, no expectations, the teaching is relaxed and relevant and easy to understand.
To help give you an idea of the kinds of things that take place in one of our Sunday Services, here’s some details:
- Duration – At Cairns Baptist Church our services last just over an hour.
- Music – One way of worshiping God is by singing together. This is done through a contemporary band i.e. drums, guitars, keyboards, etc… In each service there might be several songs played at different times during the service. These are usually a mix of modern day worship songs with traditional songs and hymns.
- Prayer – Prayer is our way of communicating with God. We often have times during the service for everyone to share how God is working in their lives, to ask for prayer or share praise points for the encouragement of the church.
- Offering – As a sign of our thankfulness for everything God provides for us, and in response to His faithfulness in our lives, we collect a monetary offering once in each service. This is an opportunity for the regular attendees at Cairns Baptist Church to support the day to day running of the church, (pay our pastors, pay for rates, utilities & building maintenance etc…) as well as supporting ministry activities in the community. If you feel led to participate in this, your offering would be welcome.
- Sermons – Our sermons are prepared by our pastors and elders, who oversee the spiritual well-being of our church. They prayerfully seek God’s guidance in deciding on the teaching for our church. We occasionally receive guest speakers from various mission organisations and other churches, and it is always great to hear how God is working around our country and the world.
- Bible Reading – We believe the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God, the ultimate truth for dealing with every life situation. It is often read during each service and we encourage everyone to bring their own Bible to each service, but if you forget don’t worry. The Bible readings are often read with the verses displayed on our projector screen.
- Communion – The first morning service and the third evening service of each month also includes a short communion time where we eat bread and drink grape juice, symbolically remembering the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus said that we should keep doing this until He comes again. If you don’t wish to take part in this then don’t feel embarrassed about letting it pass.
- Kid’s Church – Sunday School runs during our morning services. This is for primary school children from Prep to Grade 6. We provide some exciting age-specific teaching and activities led by a group of enthusiastic leaders and helpers. Of course, children are also welcome to quietly stay in the service.
- Mini-Church – For children aged between 2 & Prep. Mini-Church is an organised playtime during the 8.30 service in the meeting room in the rear of the church for young ones, which includes a few craft activities, stories and songs.
- Cry room – We have a space located at the rear of the church auditorium for nursing mothers which has some comfortable chairs and a change table. Colouring-in material is also available at the door for those looking for something to do during the service.
- Refreshments – Between our morning services, free refreshments are provided in the breezeway (between the Auditorium & Hall). It’s a chance for you to mingle with people from the Cairns Baptist Church family as well as other guests. After our 6:00pm service we run what we like to call the “Welcome Inn” which provides opportunity to talk and enjoy a small meal and drinks in a relaxed setting. Soft Drinks are available for $1 each and we kindly suggest a gold coin donation toward food costs would be greatly appreciated.
We look forward to meeting you at one of our services. You’ll find many friendly people wanting to make your visit a memorable and welcoming one!
Church isn’t just about what happens on Sundays, we also meet throughout the week to encourage each other and have fun together.
Below is a quick list of some of the other activities that happen during the week.
- Kookaburra Kids (0 – 5 years)
- Pulse Youth (High School age)
- Young Adults (18-25) & (25+)
- Homegroups & Prayer Groups
- Over 50’s
- Creative Ministries & more… We’d love for you to join us.